Sunday 1 May 2016

[ETHER] Persistent Rooms and new easter egg

Added a new easter egg today. Can't wait for people to find it once the game is released, I'm pretty sure a lot of oldschool movie fans are gonna love it though, if you don't get it it's fine. :P

Also realized something today. For the longest time, my rooms haven't been persistent which caused all kinds of grief since I am developing a non-linear game where you can explore and go back and forth between rooms. I thought I would have to write some sort of script to keep track of what enemies and objects still remained in a room. NOPE! Turns out Game Maker has a built in function for this exact purpose: Persistent rooms!

I did notice the little checkbox in the room editor and was like "... why have I not used this before?!" It literally fixed the biggest worry I had about the game so far programming-wise but now I can actually make sure that once you kill something, it stays dead and once you pick up an item, it's gone as well. So I'm really happy it was that simple to implement.

Tomorrow I'm going to maybe work on the final level of the jungle area and add in a new enemy type. Development so far has been extremely brisk and I'm looking forward to seeing how this game will shape up in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment